Autonomous Fish Monitoring & Counting Systems
We began using underwater videography to monitor fish back in 1989 and things have changed a lot since then. Using our invaluable experience, we now design, build and supply cabled underwater fish and wildlife monitoring and counting systems that are ideal for monitoring fishways (for example see Node 10) and any other artificial or natural underwater habitat. These units are self-cleaning and designed for long-term, semi-permanent or permanent installation in freshwater and marine environments. Our systems can stream live underwater video through the BRAVO network and automatically filter, collect and transfer novel and interesting fish activity for outreach, education and research.
Biotactic offers a variety of autonomous fish monitoring and counting equipment for purchase. We also provide end-to-end data analysis services using our AI based program the BRAIN. Please contact us directly to discuss your specific project needs, configuration and cable lengths, as well as data analysis options and pricing.
Permanent Fish Monitoring Systems- BRAVO G3
- Input 12 VDC/110-120 VAC - solar (100W panel and two 12V deep-cycle batteries) or AC/DC powered
- 15+ metre (>50 feet) waterproof conduit and connectors for shallow or deep installation in fresh or saltwater
- HD digital 1080p IP camera systems with low lux infrared illumination at night (infrared LEDs)
- Low maintenance self-cleaning glass lens with variable duty-cycles depending on water conditions and nutrient levels
- Biological data are algorithmically filtered, time and date stamped and recorded to solid state hard drive on a single board 2.0Hz computer with a quad core processor, no moving parts and 8GB of RAM
- All video data can be continuously uploaded live to the internet through our central BRAVO network or by ftp anywhere if an internet link with appropriate bandwidth is available (> 5Mbs)
- G3 fish monitoring systems can easily be upgraded to fish counting systems whereby recorded biological data are analysed using BRAVO AI (BRAIN) to determine fish counts, relative abundance, direction of passage, net daily passage and peak passage rates. Species ID and estimates of fish length and condition are also available. BRAIN can analyse data in near-real time if data is continuously transferred by ftp or can be used for post-project processing after data is collected and transferred via external hard drive
The video data collected automatically by the BRAVO system is particularly useful for establishing baseline data and for realizing long-term research objectives related to inter-annual variation in fishway counts, fish migration patterns, migration timing, habitat utilization and reproductive behavior. The system has also been proven to be useful for monitoring species at risk, invasive species and observing behavior of benthic organisms such as mussels, crayfish, diving ducks, turtles, and of course, behaviour, activity, and presence/absence of various fish species.
Applications include scientific research, agency-based fish and wildlife monitoring, marine biological studies, aquaculture, underwater surveillance, education and basic fun. Since 2005 our underwater fish monitoring network has been used to achieve various long-term research objectives related to inter-annual variation in fish migration patterns, migration timing and habitat utilization on a global scale.
Mobile Fish Monitoring Systems- BRAVO M2
- Stand alone power with continuous maintenance-free operation with 50W solar panel and one 12V deep-cycle battery
- Fully waterproof sealed enclosure and camera with 15+ metre (>50 feet) waterproof cable and connectors
- High-resolution analog video 1/3" CMOS image sensor, 800+TVL, 2.8mm lens with low lux infrared illumination at night (infrared LEDs)
- Biological data are algorithmically filtered, time and date-stamped and recorded to SD card (up to 32GB) - up to 7 days full time recording with significantly more with motion detection and recording settings optimized
- M2 fish monitoring systems can be easily upgraded to fish counting systems whereby recorded biological data are analysed using BRAVO AI (BRAIN) to determine fish counts, relative abundance, direction of passage, net daily passage and peak passage rates. Species ID, estimates of fish length and condition also available. BRAIN is used for post-project processing after data is collected and transferred via external hard drive
We have developed and meticulously tested machine learning AI software we call the BRAIN (Biotactic Research Artificial Intelligence Network). Biological data captured using our M2 and G3 systems can be automatically processed through the BRAIN which will count fish, measure direction of passage, net daily passage, peak passage rates as well as estimates of fish length and condition (requires scaling). For G3 systems that stream online, this data analysis is performed each day and data are made available online within 24 hours providing clients with a near-real time understanding of fish movement and relative abundance in their system. Find out more here.